Monday Morning Markets/Jobs/Opportunities for Writers
- From The Puritan (Canada): “Hurry up! The deadline for the fall issue is Oct. 1, 2011. In typical fashion, we plan to release our next issue at the end of the season it claims to represent. So, we’re opening our pod-bay doors to submissions of fiction, poetry, reviews, recipes, and interviews. Check out our submission guidelines for more information.” Pays: $20-$50 (presumably in Canadian dollars). (via placesforwriters.com)
- “Graduate and undergraduate students, studying at American colleges and universities, or Americans studying abroad, who aspire to become foreign correspondents, are invited to apply for one of fourteen scholarships or internships to be awarded by the Overseas Press Club Foundation. Winning an OPC Foundation scholarship or internship is more than a cash award. Winners are invited to join the Overseas Press Club family. They are encouraged to network and keep the organization apprised of their career moves. The Foundation pays travel and living expenses for interns in foreign bureaus at such leading news organization as the Associated Press and Reuters, among others, and at foreign English-language media companies like the South China Morning Post and Cambodia Daily. In many cases, winning a prestigious OPC Foundation award has helped launch careers.” Application deadline is December 1, 2011. No application fee indicated.
- Interested in a post-MFA fellowship? Check out this updated list of opportunities.
- Practicing Writing is pleased to have a significant U.K. readership, and this opportunity is just for them: “With a title of Beautiful Britain, our family travel writing competition aims to celebrate all that’s great about family adventures in our stunning land. That might include breathtaking adventures in the Lakes, laughing til your sides ache at a family-friendly Edinburgh festival, savouring the splendour of the West Wales coastline, a Devon cream tea or a knees up at a holiday park…or of course plenty more. Wherever you love to find quality family time in Britain – we want to hear about it. We’re looking for entries about family holidays, breaks, days out or adventures.” No entry fee for first submission. Prizes: “There’s a cash prize [£200] for the winning entry, to be chosen by our two judges, family passes courtesy of English Heritage for our winner and runners-up, plus a fabulous weekend in York for up to two adults and two children for our second prize winner.” Deadline: October 1, 2011. (via the Writing-world.com newsletter)
- From St. Lawrence University (N.Y.): “Fiction or creative non-fiction writers with significant publications and teaching experience are invited to apply for the position of Viebranz Visiting Professor of Creative Writing for the academic year 2012-2013. Publications and teaching experience in a second genre would be preferable. The individual hired will teach two genre-specific courses each semester, at the beginning and advanced level, and be an active participant in the English Department. Departmental activities will include giving a reading as part of the St. Lawrence University Writers Series; serving as a reader on a senior honors thesis, and possibly directing a senior independent project; and leading occasional workshops for senior writing majors, or giving a craft talk on writing. Evidence will be sought of a proven record of innovative pedagogy in creative writing and an enthusiasm for teaching.”
- From Bowling Green State University (Ohio): “The Creative Writing Program at Bowling Green State University seeks a poet as the College of Arts & Sciences Distinguished Visiting Writer. The successful candidate will be in residence spring 2013; teach one workshop in our BFA program and one workshop in our MFA program; give a public reading and a lecture; and advise theses. “
- The University of Richmond (Va.) seeks an Alumni Magazine Writer/Editor (there’s a position available for an Editor, too); Northeastern University (Boston) is looking for a Managing Editor; and the Metropolitan Museum of Art (New York) is advertising for a Senior Press Officer.