Each week in this space, Practicing Writing shares no-fee, paying markets for writers of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction: competitions, contests, and calls for submissions. The posts complement monthly issues of The Practicing Writer newsletter, where you’ll always find more listings, none of them limiting eligibility to residents of a single municipality, state, or province. (But this blog does share those more localized opportunities, including jobs.)
As always, if you’d like to share a specific opportunity listed here, please credit the blog for the find. Thanks for respecting the time and effort that I put into researching, curating, and posting this information!
- Mythridate Magazine, “an indie magazine for Neo-Romantics,” seeks submissions for an issue on the theme of “decadence.” Pays: $10-$20 per accepted work. Deadline: December 1. (Thanks to Cathy’s Comps and Calls for the news about this one.)
- From Euphony Journal: “Show us your best fall-themed stories and you might just get a treat.” The treat for the winner of this short-story contest appears to be a $25 prize. Deadline: December 6.
- Coming soon (sooner than you think!): the December issue of The Practicing Writer. I usually send the new issue on the last day of the preceding month, but for a number of reasons Saturday, November 30, is not an ideal day for me to be dealing with the newsletter. Expect it sometime on Friday instead. And be sure to take a last look at the current (November) issue for any lingering opportunities that might be suitable for your work.
- From Literary Hub: “We are seeking a highly organized and motivated editorial fellow. The fellow will be an integral part of a small team, working closely with editors on day-to-day operations. As the fellow must be able to work with us in the office, we will not be considering remote applicants; applicants who are not currently in New York but willing to relocate should explicitly indicate that in their cover letters.” NB: “This is a paid, full-time position with opportunities for advancement.”
- In San Francisco, “Goodreads is looking for an outstanding Associate Editor to join its editorial team. The Goodreads editorial team is responsible for producing newsletters, articles, and social-media content that regularly reaches millions of readers around the world. The team also works with top authors and publicists, and mines internal data to create compelling content that helps Goodreads members find and share books they’ll love.”
- Seattle Arts & Lectures is looking for a Writers in the Schools Program Associate.
- In Pennsylvania, Cabrini University is advertising for an Assistant Professor of English “with a record of outstanding classroom teaching and creative publications in fiction, nonfiction, poetry, or spoken word. The position may include teaching courses in Creative Writing, Gender and Body Studies, Literary Magazine Writing, Writing in the Disciplines, African-American and/or Latinx Literature, and/or developmental writing.”
- In Texas, “the Department of English and Modern Languages at Angelo State University invites applications for a tenure-track position in Creative Writing (Fiction) with an open secondary specialization.”
- Old Dominion University (Virginia) is advertising for an Assistant Professor of English (Creative Writing/Nonfiction).
- “Western Michigan University invites applications for a full-time academic year tenure-track position in Creative Writing (Poetry) to begin Fall 2020 at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor.”