Each week as Shabbat approaches, the My Machberet blog presents an array of Jewish-interest links, primarily of the literary variety.
- Announced this week: the longlist for the 2020 Wingate Literary Prize, a Britain-based award recognizing “the best book, fiction or non-fiction, to translate the idea of Jewishness to the general reader.”
- “A Field Guide to Jewish Kidlit” is an especially good episode of The Book of Life podcast, with host Heidi Rabinowitz in conversation with guest interviewee Marjorie Ingall. (Transcript available, along with excellent show notes/links.)
- Speaking of Jewish kidlit: I recommend highly “Mirrors and Windows: A Conversation with Lesléa Newman on Diversity in Children’s Books,” conducted by Emily Schneider for the Jewish Book Council.
- Also fine reading: Andrew Silow-Carroll’s reflections on “some of the best Jewish books [he] read in the past 11 months.”
- An ICYMI: Recent book-related news of my own includes a Pushcart nomination for “A Single Woman of Valor” and a new review of Birthright.