The weekly batch of no-fee, paying competitions, contests, and calls for submissions—plus jobs for those of us who write (especially those of us who write fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction). These posts are intended to complement/supplement monthly issues of The Practicing Writer newsletter, where you’ll always find more listings, none of them limiting eligibility to residents of a single municipality, state, or province (this blog, on the other hand, does sometimes include those more restricted opportunities).
- Hot off the e-press: the June issue of The Practicing Writer. It’s packed with about 30 competitions and calls that don’t charge entry/admin fees and do pay for winning/published work.
- New submissions policy (with frequent, but super-short submissions windows) for Enchanted Conversation: A Fairy Tale Magazine: “Each month, the window will open for 72 hours to submit for publication the next month. From 12 a.m. on the first of the month to 11:59 p.m. on the third day on the month. Those are Eastern Standard Times. Example: For July, the window will open at 12 a.m. June 1. It will close at 11:59 p.m., EST, on June 3.” All fiction submissions for 2020 should focus on the theme of “Angels.” Pays: “Fairy tale pay if chosen: $100. US dollars only. Essays: $50. US dollars only.” Pays on publication via Paypal. (HT Authors Publish)
- LitroUSA, “a new 501c3 non-profit literary journal…is seeking a paid, part-time Managing Editor, preferably based in New York City (we encourage working from home so remote work is possible).”
- “Dictionary.com is looking for a social media coordinator and writer to take the helm of its growing social presence. Do you look at the term “word nerd” as a challenge? Quote memes in conversation? Obsessively check Twitter and stalk TikTok? We’ve been waiting for you. The right candidate is both a keen observer of pop culture and lover of the English language with a skill for writing whip smart copy.” NB: “This is a 40-hour per week contract position based in Oakland, CA. Remote will be considered for the right candidate.”
- “Girls Write Now seeks an enthusiastic and experienced Content Coordinator (CC) who is highly skilled in design and digital media, and passionate about empowering young women and gender-nonconforming youth through writing, mentorship, and community. ” NB: This is a New York-based job, “full-time with the option for part-time.”
- In Philadelphia, Mighty Writers is advertising for a Special Projects Director who “will drive the process for ongoing, virtual, out-of-the-box events designed to inspire students, parents and funders in the pandemic world. The director will collaborate with the Executive Director to set near and long term goals, to prioritize MW’s short and long term agenda and to effectively communicate the culture, style and mission to all MW audiences—students, staff, donors, volunteers.”
Reminder: I continue to update this site’s new page of info on COVID-19-focused emergency grants and related info for writers. Check it out at bit.ly/EmergencyResourcesWriters, and please share as you find appropriate.