Each week in this space, Practicing Writing shares no-fee, paying markets for writers of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction: competitions, contests, and calls for submissions. The posts complement monthly issues of The Practicing Writer newsletter, where you’ll always find more listings, none of them limiting eligibility to residents of a single municipality, state, or province. (But this blog does share those more localized opportunities, including jobs.)
As always, if you’d like to share a specific opportunity listed here, please credit the blog for the find. Thanks for respecting the time and effort that I put into researching, curating, and posting this information!
- Jaggery, a DesiLit arts and literature journal, has reopened for submissions. “We publish ART, ESSAYS, FICTION, POETRY, REVIEWS, and an advice column. We prefer original, previously unpublished submissions; we solicit reprints only in exceptional cases. We accept simultaneous submissions, provided you let us know immediately if it is being published elsewhere. We’re purchasing ongoing worldwide digital rights, for use in web and possible downloaded forms (ebook, PDF, etc.). Six months after publication, you may request to have your work removed from our online archive. We follow a blind submission review process and pay $100 for fiction, $25 for nonfiction/poetry/art/reviews.” (h/t @Duotrope)
- Posted by producer CBC producer Tamara Baluja: “CBC is highlighting first person columns from Canadian writers of Asian descent this month. That would include writers from East Asia, Southern Asia, Western, Central and Southeast Asia.” Send pitches as the thread instructs. Payment: $422.50 for a 650-word piece. (h/t Opportunities of the Week)
- Sian Meades-Williams’s Freelance Writing Jobs Fund grants are open for applications from UK-based writers who earn the majority of their income from freelance writing. Three grants will be awarded. Each grant includes £125 and an hour-long remote mentoring session with Meades-Williams. Deadline: “midnight (UK time) on 29th May 2021.”
- Reminder that we’re just past the mid-month mark, and plenty of the opportunities featured in the May issue of The Practicing Writer 2.0 remain open for entries/submissions.
- “Mass Poetry, a nonprofit arts organization headquartered in Boston, MA, seeks an expert manager and experienced educator with a passion for poetry to serve as its full-time Program Director.”
- “The English Department and the Confluence Lab at the University of Idaho invite applicants for a one-year in-residence fellowship (teaching and research), with the possibility of renewal for a second year, focused on creative writing and narrative dimensions of the multimedia project Stories of Fire: A Pacific Northwest Climate Justice Atlas.”
- “The Faculty of English Language and Literature at the University of Tulsa invites applications for a one-year Visiting Assistant Professor position in Creative Writing—Poetry to begin August 2021.”
- In Massachusetts, “the English Department at Tufts University invites applications for a part-time lecturer in Creative Writing, to teach three courses per academic year in journalism and non-fiction writing.”