Each week in this space, Practicing Writing shares no-fee, paying markets for writers of fiction, poetry, and creative nonfiction: competitions, contests, and calls for submissions. The posts complement monthly issues of The Practicing Writer newsletter, where you’ll always find more listings, none of them limiting eligibility to residents of a single municipality, state, or province. (But this blog does share those more localized opportunities, including jobs.)
As always, if you’d like to share a specific opportunity listed here, please credit the blog for the find. Thanks for respecting the time and effort that I put into researching, curating, and posting this information!
- Friendly City Books seeks submissions for “a forthcoming anthology of food poetry.” Will consider reprints. Deadline: September 30. Payment: “small honorarium.” (Thanks to Cathy’s Comps & Calls for pointing me to this one.)
- Trouble Department, “a very small publishing and bookselling company based in Arvada, Colorado,” remains open for poetry and fiction book and chapbook manuscripts (and for nonfiction submissions in keeping with their specific interest in “nature field guides”) until September 30. Pays: “For accepted works, we pay between $200-500 advance (amount depends on length) plus a standard royalty.” (Found via AuthorsPublish.)
- Closing for poetry submissions on October 1: Cutleaf, which “is interested in poetry of many styles and formats” and “will read up to seven poems at a time per author.” Pays: “from $50 to $200 for published poetry.”
- Also open until October 1: this call from Consequence: “For our upcoming issue (Spring ’22), we’re going back to basics by asking the question ‘What is war poetry’” and dedicating a special section to poetry that responds to one of the oldest and most fundamental poems of war, The Bhagavad Gita. Please send us your best poems inspired by, in conversation with, critiquing, jumping off from, or illuminating themes, characters, images, or any other aspect of the epic.” Pays: $40/piece.
- The Embracing Our Differences Quotation Competition will award $1,000 for one 20-word quotation submitted to accompany exhibited art. (That’s a pretty amazing per-word rate!) Deadline: October 6.
- By the time the next Markets & Jobs post is published, the October issue of The Practicing Writer 2.0 will have gone out to subscribers. Subscriptions are free—join us! (And if you haven’t yet consulted the September newsletter, plenty of its listings are STILL open!)
- The Academy of American Poets seeks a Membership and Development Associate. (Remote position.)
- In DC, Free Minds Book Club & Writing Workshop is seeking “a teaching artist contractor to join us (approximately 20 hours/week). The teaching artist will co-facilitate 2-3 book clubs weekly at Youth Services Center, DC Jail, and Correctional Treatment Facility, and will work closely with the Book Club Manager and Lead Facilitator.”
- “The Department of English at the University of North Florida invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor position in Creative Writing with a specialization in poetry to begin August 2022.”
- In North Carolina, Elon University “invites applications for a tenure-track poet at the assistant professor level, beginning mid-August 2022.”
- In Idaho, “the MFA Program in Creative Writing at Boise State University—a member of The Theater, Film and Creative Writing Department—invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor with a specialization in Poetry writing to start Fall 2022.”
- AND “the MFA Program in Creative Writing at Boise State University, a member of The Department of Theatre, Film and Creative Writing, invites applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor with a specialization in Fiction writing to start Fall 2022.”
- In Michigan, “the Department of English at Hope College invites applications for a tenure-track assistant professor in Creative Writing—Fiction to begin Academic Year ‘22 – ‘23.
- In Tennessee, Austin Peay State University is advertising for an Assistant Professor of Creative Writing, Fiction.
- In Missouri, the Department of English at Saint Louis University, “a Catholic, Jesuit university, invites applications for a tenure-track position at the assistant professor rank in creative writing (fiction), to begin in August 2022.”
- Georgia’s Valdosta State University’s Department of English in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences “seeks applicants for a tenure track faculty position in Creative Writing (Fiction) beginning August 1, 2022.”
- In North Carolina, the creative writing department of Warren Wilson College “seeks a creative nonfiction writer to join our undergraduate faculty and assist us in shaping our growing program….This is a full-time, junior-level position in an extended contract system with a 3-3 load.”