Of course, it’s always possible to find Jewish-themed stories, poems, and essays published in a variety of “secular” or mainstream media. (For more tips on that, please click here.) But many magazines, journals, and websites specifically welcome and/or promote “Jewish” writing. This page provides you with links to some examples, representing a range of theological, political, and other orientations. As with every resource list, please be sure to familiarize yourself well with each offering to ensure that it’s a place where you feel you (and your work) belong.
Those of you who are familiar with my Practicing Writing blog and newsletter know that I tend to refer writers only to publications/opportunities that will pay writers for their work. But in this case, because the pool is relatively small, I’m also including nonpaying publications. Similarly, although I normally share only those calls/outlets that don’t charge reading/submission fees, some of the venues listed below may be fee-charging.
As always, I welcome any “success stories” that may result for you from these tips.
- 929 (for Tanakh-related work; be sure to consult the publishing schedule to determine the site’s current/future needs)
- Bearings Online
- The Curator (including this one because a contributing editor sent me an email indicating the publication’s openness to submissions from “writers of faith”)
- The Deronda Review
- Harvard Divinity Bulletin
- Halah (“an online magazine dedicated to showcasing Israeli literature in English”)
- The Ilanot Review
- Image: A Journal of the Arts & Religion
- Jewish Action
- Jewish Currents
- Jewish Literary Journal
- The Jewish Quarterly
- Jewish Women’s Archive
- Jewish Women of Words
- The Jewish Writing Project
- The Layers Project magazine (“insights into the lives of Jewish women”)
- Lilith (“independent, Jewish & frankly feminist”)
- Moment (NB: Most Moment fiction appears to be published via this annual contest.)
- Paper Brigade
- Patheos Spirit
- Scribe (“the Forward’s contributor network”)
- TC Jewfolk
- Tiferet: A Journal of Spiritual Literature
- Vashti Media
NB: Although they may not necessarily publish poetry, fiction, or memoir, the American Jewish Press Association‘s member publications also offer wonderful resources for Jewish writing and writers. Unfortunately, the member directory/search function is now behind a membership paywall. The Association’s own Twitter list of member publications can help you identify many of them. Strategic Googling (“Jewish newspapers”) can also yield additional possibilities.