From the National Yiddish Book Center Web site:
The National Yiddish Book Center has openings for two Post-Baccalaurate Fellows during the 2009-2010 academic year. The full-time Fellows will be mentored by senior members of the Book Center’s staff, and will undertake assignments in each of our six major program areas.
* Bibliography: Work with the Center’s bibliographer to shelve and organize Yiddish books in our new, climate-controlled, on-site Deposit Library; help sort, process and index periodicals and ready them for digitization; answer reference questions and help students, scholars and visitors find Yiddish books; and provide support for users of the Center’s online library at yiddishbooks.org.
* Interpretation: Provide guided tours to visitors of all ages.
* Ethnography: Conduct structured oral history interviews with visitors, index archival recordings, and select excerpts for inclusion on the Book Center’s website, New Discoveries exhibition, Pakn Treger and other publications.
* Exhibitions: Help track down artifacts and provide curatorial assistance for the Book Center’s new, 10,000-square-foot permanent exhibition.
* Education and Public Programs: Provide support for the Book Center’s new educational programs, including Yiddish classes and residential Jewish Cultural Encounters for adults; a Winter Program for college students; teacher training and other endeavors.
* Web, Translation and Publications: Provide content and help coordinate online forums and communities on the Book Center’s expanded website; assist with translation from Yiddish to English; assist the editor in researching and writing for Pakn Treger, the Book Center’s English-language magazine.
$20,000 stipend plus health insurance. This is a nine-month position.
B.A. in Jewish Studies or equivalent; working knowledge of Yiddish; flexibility, good nature and a spirit of adventure.
Check the Web site for application instructions and more information.