Each Friday, the Practicing Writing blog shares writing and publishing resources, news, and reflections to peruse over the weekend.
- In which Melissa Olson Petrie ponders “‘Giving Tuesday’ donation requests and everyday submission fees at lit mags.”
- News from a prestigious fiction competition: “The Nelson Algren Literary Award contest has been suspended for 2020-21 as we review the program.”
- This week brought news of a weird publishing-related phishing scam. Victoria Strauss summarizes.
- Far more inspiring tidings can be found in John Vanderslice’s Holiday Cheer(ful) Literary News, spotlighting plenty of student and faculty achievements from his campus. What a great way to bring the semester (and 2020) to a close.
- And of course, there’s a fresh set of Jewish-lit links posted on the My Machberet blog. Perfectly paired with Chinese food and a movie, for those of us who aren’t occupied observing Christmas.
Wishing a wonderful weekend to everyone—and a very Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating the holiday.