I’m trying to be positive here. Rather than rant away about certain aspects of our writing culture that tick me off all too often (and, ahem, all too recently), I’m going to praise a few aspects of the 21st-century writing life that invariably make me grateful, happy, and otherwise at peace:
1) Writing-focused Listservs and writing organization blogs that stay on-topic.
2) Writing-focused Listservs and writing organization blogs that remain free of ad hominem attacks (see above).
3) Seeing translators credited for the invaluable work that they do bringing us writing we’d otherwise be unable to read.
4) Seeing writer-researchers credited for bringing quotations, resources, and opportunities to their communities when others pass the information along.
5) Auto-responders that confirm receipt of a manuscript, explain that the correspondent is away until such-and-such time and isn’t likely to respond until after that date, or otherwise reduce one’s anxiety level.
That’s not my complete list, but it’s a start. What would you add? What elements of contemporary writing life and culture do you most appreciate?