Each week as Shabbat approaches, the My Machberet blog presents an array of Jewish-interest links, primarily of the literary variety.
- More awards news this week—in this case, the announcement of the latest Sydney Taylor Book Awards. “Named in memory of Sydney Taylor, author of the classic All-of-a-Kind Family series, the award recognizes books for children and teens that exemplify high literary standards while authentically portraying the Jewish experience. 2020 is the first year the Sydney Taylor Honor Books have been included along with the winners in the announcements at the American Library Association Youth Media Awards press conference.”
- New-newsletter alert! OUR TIME is “a new monthly newsletter by and for Jewish women – an eclectic mix of inspiration for mind, body, soul and heart. It is produced by The Forward and distributed in partnership with Hadassah.” (This blog’s readers are likely to find the “Culture Club” section particularly appealing.)
- “The Fortunoff Video Archive for Holocaust Testimonies is offering a one-year Translation Fellowship, with opportunity for renewal. The fellowship is designed to support translation into English of texts deemed of critical importance to Holocaust studies, with a particular emphasis on works that deal with audiovisual and/or written testimony, memoirs, and other important underexamined primary materials. This year’s fellowship will focus on the production of an English translation of Christoph Dieckmann’s two-volume Deutsche Besatzungspolitik in Litauen 1941-1944.” Compensation: “Applicants will be employed as a work-for-hire vendor. They will receive a total compensation, per year, of $35,000 USD. Funds will be distributed in three payments, at the start of the translation work, at a predetermined midpoint, and finally upon completion of the work.” Application deadline: May 1, 2020.
- In the works: a project that aims to compile stories from people who have converted to Judaism. (NB: I checked with one of the project organizers and learned that this is a nonpaying call.)
- And icymi: I’ve added my own mini-list of essential titles to Moment magazine’s Five Books Project.