Finds for Writers

Description: closed trunk and text label announcing, "Finds for Writers."
Image of a wooden trunk, with text label that reads, “Finds for Writers” beside it.

Writing and publishing resources, news, and reflections to peruse over the weekend.

• On graduating into a pandemic: a newly-degreed freelance journalist (Julia Métraux) reflects.
  • Coming soon: CUNY’s free (and, this year, virtual) Chapbook Festival.
  • From Writer Beware: “You’ll find this post useful not just as an amusing account of unmasking a fraud, but as a series of tips on what should ring warning bells when you’re evaluating an agency’s website.”
  • In which Lauren Oyler makes the case for semicolons. (I would have run across this in this weeken’d’s New York Times Magazine, but Jane Snyder mentioned it first.)
  • And you’ll find freshly curated Jewish-lit links over on My Machberet.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

7 thoughts on “Finds for Writers

1. Paul Lamb says:

Ever since I’d first heard of the war on semicolons, I’ve made sure to include at least one in every story I write; they’re a useful piece of punctuation and a sign of a basic mastery.

1. Erika Dreifus says:

I love this comment!

2. Michael A. Burstein says:

Semicolons are very useful; they allow one sentence to contain two related thoughts.

1. Erika Dreifus says:

Exactly!

3. Hmm, I’ve divested myself of semicolons as I’ve become more and more American. Simple, direct, bottom line, no fuss, we’re in a rush, call everyone by their first name, no deference, no nuances.
    I’m glad to be reminded of this wonderful helper. Think I’ll find a good home for it in poems.

4. Victoria Stefani says:

When I was a grad student grading English placement essay exams, one of my colleagues said that he recommended that any student who used a semicolon correctly be placed in an honors section. He may have had a point (or not). Either way, long live the semicolon!

5. Erika Dreifus says:

It’s wonderful to see all the love for semicolons here!