Each Friday, the Practicing Writing blog shares writing and publishing resources, news, and reflections to peruse over the weekend.
- A lovely tribute, by Richard Chess, to poet Stephen Dunn, who passed away last month.
- Having just this week read Deesha Philyaw’s excellent short-story collection The Secret Lives of Church Ladies, I was delighted to find this interview with Philyaw (conducted by Ambre Dromgoole) in the latest issue of The Revealer.
- Apart from reading his Mumbo Jumbo back when I was an MFA student, I didn’t know much about Ishmael Reed. Julian Lucas’s profile of the writer for The New Yorker has changed that. (You may also want to check out this piece by Reed himself, which appeared earlier this month on Tablet, and addresses a number of issues referenced in Lucas’s profile.)
- If you don’t care for novels/novellas/short stories “about” writing, please move along. But if you’re still reading this, check out Michael Seidlinger’s forthcoming opus (which I’ve just pre-ordered).
- And in the latest #JewishLit links post on the My Machberet blog: a nice mix of upcoming (free!) literary events and reading recommendations.
Have a good weekend, all.